Moreton - Moreton 2

Article Index

Postcode for SatNavDT2 8RH
O.S. Landranger Map reference194-806893

The graveyard is some distance south of the church, but well worth a visit.  There is a very smart lych-gate, which was once part of the entrance to the kitchen gardens of Moreton House.  It consists of a magnificent roof supported on four white-painted wooden Ionic columns.  Inside, it is recorded that Captain John Hulton erected the oblisk on the hill to the south in memory of his friend James Frampton in 1781.  Perhaps the most important remains are those of T E Lawrence, better known as 'Lawrence of Arabia', who lies in a simple grave almost at the extremity of the graveyard.  There is a superb effigy of Lawrence in St Martins church in Wareham. (See also Wikipedia - click here)

Search by Village Name