There are a number of superb memorials in the church. The Jessop memorial behind the organ of 1625 is dedicated to Drs. John and Thomas Jessop, who lie side by side on a tomb chest, under a disintegrating arch. John was vicar of St. Marys and prebend of Salisbury Cathedral (d.1625) and Thomas was a physician in the town (d.1615). The memorial to Frances Dirdoe of 1735 is memorable and beautifully executed with the Three Graces. In fact, Frances (died aged only 34) was from a family of fifteen siblings and the memorial represents her with two of her sisters, Rebecca and Rachel, who were her executors. Their father, Sir Henry Dirdoe's memorial is in the chancel.
The most beautiful area of this interesting church is the chapel of the Good Shepherd, which was dedicated by the Bishop of Salisbury in 1922 and designed by W.D.Caröe (1857-1938), who was responsible, among many other things, for the magnificent reordering of the east end of Sherborne Abbey. He was the architect to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners from 1895 to his death and was a major figure in the Arts and Crafts movement. The beautifully carved reredos depicts, Christ the Consolator flanked by St. George on one side and St. Louis of France on the other. At the top, extending from the canopy are exquisitely carved angels on either side. The chapel was given by Carlton and Emily Cross in memory of their son, Lieut. Reginald Carlton Cross, who died, aged 26, on 7th June 1918.
The octagonal font is perpendicular with paterae motifs. The magnificent principal reredos with its representation of the Adoration of the Infant Saviour was designed by H.P.Burke Downing and carved by the internationally renowned Nathaniel Hitch when he was eighty years old.
This is a wonderful church, which is well worth a visit.
- << Prev