Today, this large and most impressive church serves a village strung-out along one side of the busy A356 Dorchester to Maiden Newton road. (Jo Draper in her superb guide to Dorset 'Dorset the Complete Guide' says all the houses on the southern side of the road were removed by the landlord in 1840 so as to 'improve the park'.) Clearly, like so many in the county, this church must have replaced an earlier structure. Most of its present form dates from 1695 when the splendid tower was built and adorned, uniquely, by two Tuscan columns, one above the other, at each corner. The nave is more or less square. The Victorians, who could not resist leaving their mark on churches, 'improved' the chancel in 1820 to a design by Benjamin Ferry, who is best remembered for his work on Christchurch Priory. The side aisles received attention at the same time, despite the north aisle originating from C15. The font, given in 1858 by the Duchess of Somerset, is by Thomas Earp, who was also responsible for the magnificent carving on the pulpit in Wimborne Minster (1868). The capitals and corbels are the work of Benjamin Grassby, whose exquisite work can be found in many of the county's churches. The organ is by Walker of London. The whole restoration was paid for by Richard and Marcia Sheridan of Frampton Court, who funded the building of a row of alms houses, adjacent to the church, also designed by Ferry.
- << Prev