Article Index

 

 

Above, are beautifully executed roof timbers and there are the remains of some C15 wall paintings.  These were discovered in 1890s and restored in 1969.   The pulpit is dated 1635. There is a sumptuous memorial to Grace Pole, a Trenchard daughter, who died in 1638, which was restored in 1970.  The organ, housed in the north aisle, was originally built in 1906 by Norman and Beard of Norwich for a convent in Kilburn. It was bought by the PCC in 1957 and completely rebuilt by W.G Voles of Bristol with a remote console controlling an electro-pneumatic action.

The western tower was erected early in the 16th century by Thomas Trenchard, a local landowner who lived at nearby Wolfeton House and entertained the Spanish royal family when they landed at Melcombe Regis in 1506.  It is perpendicular in style and very striking. The font under the tower is probably C12, but re-cut and shaped C15.

This is one of the most important and beautiful churches in Dorset, which is well worth a visit. There is an excellent and informative church guide.