Holy Rood - Redundant (now a village hall) therefore unpublished Jan 2018
The building has its origins in the 13c with a tower and pyramidal roof of Purbeck stone tiles. It was the Mother Church for Wool.
There must have been a considerable reduction in the congregations between the 13c and 19c because when the Victorians rebuilt it in 1861 to a design by John Hicks, they removed the south aisle. This reduction continued into the 20c leading to the church being declared redundant in 1967.
The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©