Inside, the north aisle, with attractive paneled arches, is from C16. The stalls are made from Jacobean paneling and the pulpit is entirely from this period. The Victorians were busy and T H Wyatt (1872) is credited with the south aisle, although he reused existing medieval masonry. Perhaps the most striking item in the building is the huge monument to Field Marshall Sir John Michel, who died in 1886. His home was at Dewlish House, but during a colourful army career he had served in the Kaffir (South African) and Crimea Wars (1853-6), been shipwrecked on his way to China, defeated mutineers in Bombay and risen to the highest rank. (See his Wikipedia entry) His son, also in the army, appears to have been quite fearless and was awarded the VC.