The village of Bloxworth is situated in a particularly beautiful wooded part of Dorset, which has been accurately described as a rural idyll. It has attracted some illustrious rectors in the past. Perhaps the most eminent was John Morton (1420 - 1500), who set out as a lowly country priest, but rose to become the Cardinal Archbishop of Canterbury (1486) under Henry VII. His was an adventurous life. As Bishop of Ely he appears in Shakespeare's play Richard III, he became a king maker, a prisoner in the Tower of London, but finally responsible for joining the red and white roses to form the Tudor dynasty. A much later Rector, splendidly called Octavious Pickard-Cambridge, occupied the position from 1868 until his death in 1917. In the meantime, he catalogued 800 different Dorset species of spiders and wrote a book on the subject. Unfortunately, he was also responsible for the 'improvement' of the church in 1870.
The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©
Fortunately the 14c tower was largely left alone, but the nave was altered and a new elaborate chancel added to the design of G. Evans. Nevertheless, with its wagon roof it remains a most attractive building. The Savage chapel, on the northern side, is late 17c and has a superb cartouche in memory of Sir John Trenchard and nearby an interesting circular window. The Purbeck marble font is 13c. The hour glass attached to the pulpit is 17c, although Sir Frederick Treves in his 'Highways and Byways of Dorset' says the glass was broken and the orifice between the bulbs sealed up during the subsequent repair. After the Reformation (1559) preaching became obligatory and an hour glass ensured that the congregation received what was due. This one ran for an hour! There are some elegant candlesticks in the chancel and the encaustic tiled floor in the sanctuary is a particularly good example of Victorian tiling.