Article Index

Postcode for SatNavDT8 3QE
O.S. Landranger Map reference193-437027

 

In 1868, the chancel and much of the nave were demolished to make way for a longer nave, the provision of a vestry, the rebuilding of the northern aisle and enlarging the southern porch. (See the photo) 

demolish

Surprisingly, the old box pews were swept away in favour of the 'new' open design.  By this time, the Victorians enjoyed a degree of display of their finery and that could not be seen in a box pew.  The architect was J Mountford Allen of Crewkerne.

The font is Norman.  There is a large painting of Moses and Aaron, which is thought to be mid C17.

A really excellent church guide is available.