Stanbridge (Hinton Parva)
This is a fairly typical Victorian estate church, built entirely at the expense of Sir Richard Glyn who lived nearby in Gaunts House. Stanbridge itself is a minute hamlet, but the church does have an attractive suite of alms houses in the same style next to it and a large C19 rectory on the opposite side of the road.
It is a small building constructed from banded stone and flint, with an entrance through the south porch, which supports an elegant spire. The style is lightly Norman and it was completed in 1860. Over the door is a piece of Norman sculpture, which might be of St. Kenelm, to whom the church is dedicated (one of only seven in the country), a boy saint who was murdered, aged only 7 years.
For many years the building acted as a chapel for the nearby Dumpton boys 'prep' school when it occupied Gaunts House before moving to Wimborne. The church is now redundant.
The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©