Postcode for SatNavBH20 5PE
O.S. Landranger Map reference195-917799




St. Nicholas

There has been a church here since Norman times and the building still retains a 12c porch.  The Victorians completely rebuilt the one-piece nave and chancel in 1872, but they did preserve the 15c bellcote, buttress and bell.  The font is interesting because, according to the excellent church guide, the present one was discarded by the architect as being "extremely ugly and utterly unsuitable for its purpose."  About 1920, two workmen digging a ditch found it in a hedge and it was returned to the church and mounted on a new pedestal.  As an act of supreme irony, the Victorian version is thought to have become a bird-bath! (See Beaminster and Chaldon Herring)











 The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney © 

Search by Village Name