The village of Stratton lies just to the side of the busy A37 Dorchester to Yeovil road. A bypass leads the heavy traffic away from the village bequeathing a tranquil, if not always quiet, atmosphere.
The original Norman church was constructed around 1140 and appears to have been long and narrow with a thatched or shingle roof. At some stage a disaster occurred (perhaps a fire?), which caused a new building to be erected during the 13c. All that remains of this are the chancel arch (behind the organ), the porch, a squint (hagioscope) now blocked up and the font. The Tower is 14c.
In 1891, there was a radical rebuild by Crickmay of Weymouth. The author Thomas Hardy, who was also a trained architect, with others, opposed the scheme and won several important concessions, which included the resetting of some of the old windows and doors into the new structure. As a result, fragments of old painted glass depicting the monogram of the Virgin Mary and the Tudor rose can still be seen. There is a most important Tudor staircase with linen fold panels in the tower, which leads to the bell chamber.